english
stringlengths 2
3.06k
| non_english
stringlengths 1
4.3k
|
---|---|
Heartbreak is a master manipulator. | 心碎,是操弄大師。 |
The ease with which it gets our mind to do the absolute opposite of what we need in order to recover is remarkable. | 它利用舒適當手段, 讓我們的大腦去做的事, 和復原所需要的完全相反, 這手段很強大。 |
One of the most common tendencies we have when our heart is broken is to idealize the person who broke it. | 當我們心碎時,最常見的傾向之一, 就是會理想化那個讓我們心碎的人。 |
We spend hours remembering their smile, how great they made us feel, that time we hiked up the mountain and made love under the stars. | 我們花數小時的時間 去回想他們的笑容、 那笑容帶給我們的感覺有多棒, 及我們爬上山在星空下做愛的時光。 |
All that does is make our loss feel more painful. | 這唯一的效果,就是 讓我們的失去變得更痛苦。 |
Yet we still allow our mind to cycle through one greatest hit after another, like we were being held hostage by our own passive-aggressive Spotify playlist. | 但我們仍然允許我們的大腦 陷在這不斷重擊的循環中, 彷彿我們被自己被動攻擊的 Spotify 音樂播放清單給挾持當人質了。 |
(Laughter) Heartbreak will make those thoughts pop into your mind. | (笑聲) 心碎會讓那些念頭出現在你腦中。 |
And so to avoid idealizing, you have to balance them out by remembering their frown, not just their smile, how bad they made you feel, the fact that after the lovemaking, you got lost coming down the mountain, argued like crazy and didn't speak for two days. | 為了避免理想化, 你得要將它們平衡掉, 做法就是回想起他們的 皺眉,而不只是笑容、 他們帶給你多不好的感覺, 以及在做愛後,你們下山時迷了路, 吵得非常兇,兩天都不說話。 |
What I tell my patients is to compile an exhaustive list of all the ways the person was wrong for you, all the bad qualities, all the pet peeves, and then keep it on your phone. | 我告訴我的病人, 編匯一份詳盡的清單, 列出這個人不適合你的每一點、 所有不好的特質、所有惹你惱火的事, 然後把那清單放在手機裡。 |
(Laughter) And once you have your list, you have to use it. | (笑聲) 一旦你列出了清單, 你得要使用它。 |
When I hear even a hint of idealizing or the faintest whiff of nostalgia in a session, I go, "Phone, please." | 每次與病人會面, 當我感覺到有一點點理想化 或是最微弱的懷舊之情要浮現時, 我會說:「請拿出手機。」 |
(Laughter) Your mind will try to tell you they were perfect. | (笑聲) 你的大腦會試著告訴你他們很完美。 |
But they were not, and neither was the relationship. | 但他們並不完美, 你們的關係也不完美。 |
And if you want to get over them, you have to remind yourself of that, frequently. | 如果你想要熬過去, 你就得提醒自己這件事, 常常提醒。 |
None of us is immune to heartbreak. | 沒有人對心碎免疫。 |
My patient Miguel was a 56-year-old senior executive in a software company. | 我的病人,米格,五十六歲, 是軟體公司的高階主管。 |
Five years after his wife died, he finally felt ready to start dating again. | 在他的太太過世五年後, 他終於覺得準備好 可以開始再次約會了。 |
He soon met Sharon, and a whirlwind romance ensued. | 他很快就遇到了雪倫, 接著展開熱戀。 |
They introduced each other to their adult children after one month, and they moved in together after two. | 一個月後,他們把彼此介紹 給對方的成年子女認識, 兩個月後,他們開始同居。 |
When middle-aged people date, they don't mess around. | 中年人約會不浪費時間。 |
It's like "Love, Actually" meets "The Fast and the Furious." | 這就像《愛是您,愛是我》 遇見《玩命關頭》。 |
(Laughter) Miguel was happier than he had been in years. | (笑聲) 米格比過去幾年來都更快樂。 |
But the night before their first anniversary, Sharon left him. | 但在他們一週年的前一晚, 雪倫離開了他。 |
She had decided to move to the West Coast to be closer to her children, and she didn't want a long-distance relationship. | 她決定搬到西岸, 離她的孩子們近一點, 而她不想談遠距離戀愛。 |
Miguel was totally blindsided and utterly devastated. | 米格在毫無防備下受到打擊, 徹底身心交瘁。 |
He barely functioned at work for many, many months, and he almost lost his job as a result. | 許多許多個月,他幾乎無法工作, 結果他差點丟了飯碗。 |
Another consequence of heartbreak is that feeling alone and in pain can significantly impair our intellectual functioning, especially when performing complex tasks involving logic and reasoning. | 心碎的另一個後果 就是孤獨和痛苦的感受 能顯著破壞我們的智力運作, 特別是在進行涉及邏輯 和推理的複雜工作時。 |
It temporarily lowers our IQ. | 它會讓我們的智商暫時下降。 |
But it wasn't just the intensity of Miguel's grief that confused his employers; it was the duration. | 但讓米格的老闆感到困惑的, 不只是他的悲慟強度, 還有時間長度。 |
Miguel was confused by this as well and really quite embarrassed by it. | 米格自己也對此感到困惑, 且因此覺得很不好意思。 |
"What's wrong with me?" he asked me in our session. | 「我是怎麼搞的?」 心理治療時他這樣問我。 |
"What adult spends almost a year getting over a one-year relationship?" | 「什麼樣的成人會花幾乎一年 才能忘懷只維持一年的感情?」 |
Actually, many do. | 其實,很多成人都如此。 |
Heartbreak shares all the hallmarks of traditional loss and grief: insomnia, intrusive thoughts, immune system dysfunction. | 心碎,有著傳統失去 和悲傷的所有特徵: 失眠、煩擾的想法、 免疫系統失衡。 |
Forty percent of people experience clinically measurable depression. | 有四成的人會經歷憂鬱, 且是臨床上可測量出來的程度。 |
Heartbreak is a complex psychological injury. | 心碎是一種複雜的心理傷害。 |
It impacts us in a multitude of ways. | 它以許多方式影響著我們。 |
For example, Sharon was both very social and very active. | 比如,雪倫非常樂於社交, 也非常主動。 |
She had dinners at the house every week. | 每週她都會在家中辦晚餐會。 |
She and Miguel went on camping trips with other couples. | 她和米格會和其他情侶 或夫妻一起外出露營。 |
Although Miguel was not religious, he accompanied Sharon to church every Sunday, where he was welcomed into the congregation. | 雖然米格沒有宗教信仰, 每個星期日他會陪雪倫去教堂, 在教堂,他也被會眾歡迎。 |
Miguel didn't just lose his girlfriend; he lost his entire social life, the supportive community of Sharon's church. | 米格失去的不只是他的女友; 他失去了他的整個社交生活, 那個支持他的社群,雪倫的教堂。 |
He lost his identity as a couple. | 他失去了身為「一對」的身分。 |
Now, Miguel recognized the breakup had left this huge void in his life, but what he failed to recognize is that it left far more than just one. | 米格了解到,這次分手 讓他的人生留下了一個大空洞, 但他沒有發現, 留下的空洞其實不只一個。 |
And that is crucial, not just because it explains why heartbreak could be so devastating, but because it tells us how to heal. | 那是很關鍵的一點, 不單單因為它能解釋為什麼 心碎這麼讓人身心交瘁, 也因為它告訴我們如何能治癒。 |
To fix your broken heart, you have to identify these voids in your life and fill them, and I mean all of them. | 要修補你破碎的心, 你得要辨識出你人生中的 那些空洞,並將之填補起來, 我指的是全部的空洞。 |
The voids in your identity: you have to reestablish who you are and what your life is about. | 你身分中的空洞: 你得要重新建立你自己和你的生活。 |
The voids in your social life, the missing activities, even the empty spaces on the wall where pictures used to hang. | 你社交生活中的空洞: 少掉的活動,甚至 牆壁上把以前掛的照片 取下後留下的空白處。 |
But none of that will do any good unless you prevent the mistakes that can set you back, the unnecessary searches for explanations, idealizing your ex instead of focusing on how they were wrong for you, indulging thoughts and behaviors that still give them a starring role in this next chapter of your life when they shouldn't be an extra. | 但這些都不會有用, 除非你能預防不要犯下 讓你走回頭路的錯誤, 不要一直去找沒必要的解釋, 不要把你的前任給理想化, 都不想想他們不適合你的地方, 還沉迷在讓他們 像明星的行為與思想中, 在你人生的下一個章節 他們應該是多餘的。 |
Getting over heartbreak is hard, but if you refuse to be misled by your mind and you take steps to heal, you can significantly minimize your suffering. | 度過心碎是很難的, 但如果你拒絕被你的大腦誤導, 且能採取療癒的步驟, 你就能顯著地 將你所受的苦降至最低。 |
And it won't just be you who benefit from that. | 受惠的不只有你。 |
You'll be more present with your friends, more engaged with your family, not to mention the billions of dollars of compromised productivity in the workplace that could be avoided. | 和朋友一起時,你就更能處在當下, 和家人更緊密, 更不用說在工作上 因為生產力降低而造成的 數十億損失,那是可避免的。 |
So if you know someone who is heartbroken, have compassion, because social support has been found to be important for their recovery. | 所以,如果你認識一個心碎的人, 要有同理心, 因為社交上的支持已證實 對他們的恢復是很重要的。 |
And have patience, because it's going to take them longer to move on than you think it should. | 要有耐心, 因為要讓他們繼續前進 花的時間會比你預期的還長。 |
And if you're hurting, know this: it's difficult, it is a battle within your own mind, and you have to be diligent to win. | 如果你會痛, 要知道這一點: 這很辛苦,這是場 在你自己腦中的戰鬥, 你得要很勤奮才能贏。 |
But you do have weapons. | 但你確實有武器。 |
You can fight. | 你能戰鬥。 |
And you will heal. | 且你會復原。 |
For me, it was not being invited to a friend's wedding. | 對我來說,是沒有 被邀請參加朋友的婚禮。 |
At first, I didn't really mind. | 一開始,我其實不介意。 |
I thought he was having a small reception. | 我以為他只想辦個小型宴會。 |
But then I kept meeting people who were going to the same wedding, and they weren't as close to the groom as I was ... | 但接著,我不斷遇到 有參加這場婚禮的人, 但他們不比我和新郎更親近...... |
and I felt left out. | 我感覺被遺漏了。 |
That really sucked. | 那真的讓我很沮喪。 |
It felt really unfair. | 我感覺很不公平。 |
For my daughters, Lipsi and Greta, it was last week. | 對我的女兒莉普西 和葛蕾塔而言,則是上星期。 |
They were taking turns massaging their mom's back with a toy for back rubs, and then one of the girls felt that the other girl had a longer go. | 她們輪流按摩她們母親的背, 用的是個揉搓背部的玩具。 接著,兩人之一覺得 另一人按摩的時間比較長。 |
That's when I walk into the room to find Greta in a rage, shouting, "That's not fair!" | 那時,我走進房間, 發現葛蕾塔生氣地大叫: 「那不公平!」 |
and Lipsi in tears, and my wife holding a stopwatch to make sure that each girl had precisely one minute on the toy. | 而莉普西在流淚。 而我太太拿著一隻計時器, 以確保每個女兒使用玩具的 時間是恰好一分鐘。 |
So if you're anything like me or my girls, the last thing that upset you probably also had to do with unfairness. | 所以,如果你像我 或是我的女兒一樣, 最近一次讓你沮喪的事 很可能也和不公平有關。 |
That's because unfairness triggers us so strongly that we can't think straight. | 那是因為不公平 很強烈地影響我們, 導致我們無法想清楚。 |
We become afraid and suspicious. | 我們變得害怕且有疑心。 |
Our unfairness antennae stick up. | 我們偵測不公平的天線伸了出來。 |
We feel pain, and we walk away. | 我們感到痛苦,我們一走了之。 |
Unfairness is one of the defining issues of our society, it's one of the root causes of polarization, and it's bad news for business. | 不公平是我們社會的關鍵議題之一。 它是社會兩極化的根本原因之一, 而且它對於商業的影響很不好。 |
At work, unfairness makes people defensive and disengaged. | 在工作上,不公平會讓人 起防禦心且不願投入。 |
A study shows that 70 percent of workers in the US are disengaged, and this is costing the companies 550 billion dollars a year every year. | 一份研究顯示,美國有 70% 的工作者 沒有真正投入工作。 這個現象造成公司 每年損失達 5500 億美元。 |
This is, like, half the total spent on education in the US. | 這差不多等於美國每年 在教育上的一半花費。 |
This is the size of the GDP of a country like Austria. | 相當於奧地利這種大小國家的 國內生產總值(GDP)。 |
So removing unfairness and promoting fairness should be our priority. | 因此,消除不公平和推動公平 應是我們的首要任務。 |
But what does it mean in practice? | 但是在實際操作上,要如何做呢? |
Is it about more rules? Is it about systems? | 需要更多的規則嗎? 還是和體制有關嗎? |
Is it about equality? | 它和平等有關嗎? |
Well, partly, but fairness is more interesting than rules and equality. | 部分是,但公平比 規則和平等有趣得多。 |
Fairness works in surprising ways. | 公平的運作很讓人驚奇。 |
15 years ago, I left a US investment bank to join a large Italian state-owned oil company. | 十五年前, 我離開了一間美國投資銀行, 加入一間義大利 國有的大型石油公司。 |
It was a different world. | 那是個不同的世界。 |
I thought the key to getting the best performance was a risk-reward system where you could give the high performers bonuses and promotions and give the underperformers something to worry about. | 我那時以為,帶來最佳表現的關鍵 取決於一個風險回報的體制。 以這個體制,你可以給予 表現好的員工獎金和升遷, 讓表現不佳的員工提心吊膽。 |
But in this company, we had fixed salaries and lifelong jobs. | 但在這間公司, 我們的薪水是固定的, 而工作是終身職。 |
Careers were set, so my toolkit wasn't very effective, and I was frustrated. | 職涯就這樣定了, 所以我的慣用工具不是很有效, 我感到很挫折。 |
But then I saw that this company was producing some pockets of excellence, areas in which they beat the competition in very tough, competitive sectors. | 然後我看見這間公司裡 有些部門有非常優越的表現。 在一些領域中他們打敗競爭對手, 且是在非常棘手且競爭激烈的領域。 |
This was true in trading, in project management -- it was very true in exploration. | 在貿易上是如此, 在專案管理上也是如此, 在探勘上更是如此。 |
Our exploration team was finding more oil and gas than any other company in the world. | 我們的探勘團隊 找到的石油和天然氣 比世界上任何其他公司都還要多。 |
It was a phenomenon. | 那是個很不尋常的現象。 |
Everyone was trying to figure out how this was possible. | 每個人都想要知道這怎麼有可能。 |
I thought it was luck, but after each new discovery, that became less and less likely. | 我那時以為是好運, 但在每一次新發現之後, 越來越覺得不可能只是運氣。 |
So did we have a special tool? No. | 我們有特別的工具嗎? |
Did we have a killer application that no one else had? No. | 沒有。 我們有別人沒有的 殺手級應用程式嗎? |
Was it one genius who was finding oil for the whole team? | 沒有。 我們有一個天才在為 整個團隊找到石油嗎? |
No, we hadn't hired a senior guy in years. | 不是,我們已經許多年 沒有僱用過資深的人。 |